Minor Requirements for Students in the Class of 2023 and Before
Refer to the Class of 2023 and Before History Minor Worksheet for the successful completion of at least seven History courses meeting the requirements.
For the purposes of the minor requirements applicable to the class of 2023 and earlier, most courses fall into one of four areas: (1) United States (designated US in the course listings); (2) Europe (designated EUR in the course listings); (3) Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean (designated AALAC in the course listings); or (4) Interregional and Comparative (designated INTER in the course listings below).
Your seven History courses must contain at least one course from each of the following areas:
a. United States (US)
b. Europe (EUR)
c. Africa, Asia, Latin America & Caribbean (AALAC)
d. Interregional (INTER)
Your seven courses must contain at least two pre-1800 courses. In the course listings, courses fulfilling the pre-1800 requirement are designated <1800.
SEMINARS AND COLLOQUIA
All Minors must complete one course involving advanced historical practice which will represent the culminating experience. Students meet this requirement by enrolling in HIST 96, a small course (normally capped at 12) that allows students to work closely with a faculty member and to produce a final project that represents either original research in primary sources or (with colloquia) a historiographical contribution to the existing scholarly literature.
FIELD OF CONCENTRATION
All Minors are encouraged to identify an area of concentration within the broad field of History. Establishing a critical mass of classes each related to a geographic, chronological or thematic concentration will enhance a student's ability to develop expertise and make connections. One of these must be a culminating experience in the form of a HIST 96.
LIMITS AND EXCLUSIONS
- At least five History courses must be taken in residence at Dartmouth College, one of them being HIST 96.
- HIST 7 (First-Year Seminar) and History 99 (Honors Thesis) may not be counted toward the Minor.
- Students may not include more than two of the following courses: HIST 1, 2 or 3.
- Students may not use more than two independent study courses (HIST 97) in satisfying the requirements of the Minor.
- At most one course in the minor may be taken under the NRO.
- Minor GPA is figured on all History courses taken.
- The Department will consider approving transfer credits for History majors/minors and non-majors only for History courses taken at institutions with which Dartmouth College has institutional exchange programs.